Thursday, September 11, 2008

Getting Some Things Straight

Now I know I promised some music related posts, and I will get back to them eventually, but I have some thing I want to get off my chest. As election day draws near I've come to the conclusion that I have no choice but to get serious and get involved. I've made a point about trying to keep this blog non-political and non-partisan, but I can no longer hold my tongue. It is my absolute opinion that if the republicans are given control of the executive branch of the American government once again, we are all of us, as a people on this planet, royally fucked.

Now, let me first make it absolutley clear that this has nothing at all to do with my friends getting maced and arrested (especially considering these things happened at both the RNC and the DNC), although, clearly that pissed me off quite a bit since I dedicated three posts to it. No, this has everything to do with the fact that I absolutely believe that as much as the McCain/Palin campaign tries to distance themselves from the Bush administration, they are absolutely the same people and they will continue to do the same things that have driven our country into it's current economic recession. Things will only get worse.

It's not so much John McCain that scares me, although the claims in his early ads that he stood up to "big oil" did totally baffle me considering he spent the past four years bending over backwards for the American Oil Companies. Never mind that choosing a woman who sued the government to have the Polar Bear taken off the endangered species list because it severely limited oil drilling in Alaska as his running mate doesn't help either, but It's a woman who's willing to do that that absolutely frightens me. I absolutely believe that Sarah Palin will be more detrimental to this country (and the world) than George W. Bush could ever dream. And I'd like to take some time and set some things about Governor Palin straight.

First of all, on that whole Bridge to Nowhere thing about which she claims she told the government "no thanks," it turns out she was initially behind it and even accepted money for it, which she never gave back. Click that link if you don't believe me.

Secondly, about that Jet she put on Ebay... turns out it's standard policy in Alaska to put things the Government isn't using on Ebay because they're so far removed from the rest of the country, it's the only way they can sell just about anything. Also, the Jet didn't sell on Ebay! As a matter of fact, she took it off Ebay, and sold it for far less than it was worth, meaning that not only was it not her idea to put it on Ebay in the first place, but she also didn't make a profit on the sale like she claimed.

But never mind her ability to stretch the truth, Sarah Palin can't even seem to explain the doctrine of the Bush administration, of which she plans to "reform." Take a look at two videos from her interview with Charles Gibson that I swiped from an article at the Huffington Post.



How can you claim that you'll do things differently from or better than the Bush administration if you don't know what exactly the Bush administration did. Making things even more interesting, she also seems to be a little fuzzy on her running mate's foreign policies.

I also absolutely believe that Sarah Palin will be more detrimental to this country (and the world) than George W. Bush could ever dream



But that's ok, because McCain clearly doesn't know his running mate all that well either...

Check out this video which I opted not to embed purely because I couldn't prevent it from automatically playing.

Assuming you've just watched that, I'd love to point out that McCain never explains why Governor Palin is right and Barack Obama is wrong, nor does he at any time prove that Palin has more experience than Obama. Also, let me just say that claiming that Obama never once took on his own party seems to be a really weak accusation given that the Democrats were not the party in office the past eight years that got us into all of this shit in the first place. By the way, here's the article where i snagged that video as well.

Listen, I'm not trying to say that Barack Obama is the answer to our nation's problems. I absolutely don't believe that. What I do believe is that he represents hope in the face of almost certain damnation, and when given those two options, I'll take hope every time. If you want to know the truth about what both parties are saying, read FactCheck.org daily, and don't just believe what the Campaign ads say. make your own informed decision.

1 comment:

Emily Michelle Jones said...

Haha...

Anchor: What national security experience does Sarah Palin have?
McCain: Energy.

WTF?!?! It's like this—
Me: What kind of car does Sarah Palin drive?
McCain: Apples.
Me: No, I don't think you're understanding my question. What kind of CAR does she DRIVE?
McCain: Bananas!